Thursday, March 24, 2011

35

No, that's not how old I am. But you're almost right.

35 is 5 times 7.

There are five people in my house. And there are seven days in a week. So, 35 is the number of pairs of pants I want in this house. It is also the number of shirts, socks, and underwear. No more than 35.

I want each child and each adult to wear one outfit per day. I want them to put that outfit in their hamper before they go to bed. I want them to repeat that for the next 6 days. On day 7, I will wash, dry, and fold 35 pairs of pants. 35 shirts, 35 pairs of socks, and 35 pairs of underwear. I want each child and adult to put away their own laundry.

If each person has only 7 pairs of pants, their pants drawer will not be overflowing with some too big and some too small.

If each person has only 7 shirts, there will always be enough hangers.

If each person has only 7 pairs of socks, they will always stay in pairs. Because when you own only 14 socks total, each one becomes more important. And you'll be willing to keep looking until you find the match. There will be an end to the "sock basket" full of lonely singletons.

If each person has only 7 pairs of underwear, then I will always know if someone isn't changing every day. Because I will count on laundry day, and there better be six in there (because they'll be wearing the 7th).

If something gets stained or torn, we'll throw it out. And replace it with one. Not a six-pack of socks or a ten-pack of underwear. Just one.

If someone sees a new shirt they really want, they can get it maybe, but they have to give away one of their other seven shirts. It will be like playing cards. If you want to pick up a new one, you have to discard. You can't have more than seven cards in your hand at any given time.

It's a dream that will never come true, because Arnie, alone, has waaaaay more than 35 pairs of socks. And I go through phases where I like to buy pants. And Ella refuses to pack or throw anything away if there's ever a possibility she might wear it. And Asher is 4, but I literally just put away a pair of 18month shorts that he had been wearing. He never seems to grow out of anything. So he has all his old stuff, plus all his new stuff.

And anyway, soon 35 will need to be 42.

Note of clarification: I am not pregnant... but stay tuned.

5 comments:

Jordan said...

Woooofreakinghoooooooo!!!!!!!!

(the fourth is the best, plus you get to go back to those ittyfreakingbitty pants)

Congrats, friend.

molly said...

I should clarify... Soon 35 MAY need to be 42. :)

Katrina said...

ok, now i'm confused. are you or aren't you or are you just hoping to be?

m-l-e said...

Dare to Dream. Dare to Dream!

Rebekah V. said...

This is like the beginning of a false utopian novel. If this ever happened something very strange would soon follow. You might even find out that soilen green is made of people.