And to her I say, show me a child who at some time in the course of their youth does not embarrass their parent to the point of sheer terror, and I will show you a child who is neither awesome nor normal.
Even I, the favored child of my beloved parents (right sibs?), have been known to cast a shadow or two on the glowing reputation of the Lorton family. Why, I remember a time when I was 14 years old (or so). I was at youth night at my church, and a friend and I decided to go outside, climb a tree, jump from the tree to the roof of the church (think superhero style here) and run around. I'm pretty sure that we did not know that the stake presidency and all of the high council (a group of about 15-or so- leaders of the church in the area) were meeting solemnly and reverently in a room below us. When we got back down and were back in the church, the stake president came up to me (how did he know it was me??? Inspiration, I guess) and asked me whether I had been on the roof. I confessed (and did not rat out my friend, though she later did get in trouble for it somehow). He said he and the other leaders had been meeting (solemnly and reverently) when they heard what seemed to them as a heard of elephants stampeding above their heads (what was I, like 100 pounds back then? I think elephants was a bit of an exaggeration, but whatever). So... I had to go in and apologize. My parents were so proud.
And so, dear friend of the awesome and normal fire alarm puller, I say hold your head up high and know that 1. you are a great parent. 2 your child is awesome (and normal), and 3. maybe this will be the last time he embarrasses you. Enjoy a nice long life of embarrassment free parenting. You've paid your dues.

2 comments:
Molly, I love this! I disagree, though. What kind of irresponsible parent lets their child run a few feet ahead of them so they can pull a fire alarm in the few seconds it takes them to catch up? And also loses that same child at the state fair in the split second she looks away at something her daughter points out to her and has to have police out looking for him, or has that child gleefully scream about a man walking in front of them with only one leg, "Mommy, WHERE'S HIS OTHER LEG?" over and over, ignoring her softly spoken responses, or has her child decide to have a complete meltdown in a busy security line at the airport when one is a toddler and the other a newborn and she is traveling alone so she misses her plane? Clearly, not a great mom! You need to up your standards on your friends, I believe. ;) I do have hope now, though, hearing of your roof-stomping adventures. Love you! "S" :)
LOVE THIS
Post a Comment