Monday, October 05, 2009

Miracles & Quite possibly the most devastating disappointment of my life

Tonight during Family Home Evening, I was teaching the lesson about miracles. I told about how Jesus Christ fed the multitudes with only a few loaves and fishes. We talked about how Christ walked on the water. Then, to see if the point was getting across, I asked Ella to think of an example of another miracle. She said, "When you ask me to do something and I don't want to do it, but I do it anyway."

The child speaks the truth.

And now, for the most disappointing thing ever: Since I first saw them advertised in the SkyMiles magazine, I have wanted a towel warmer. There's nothing worse than stepping out of a nice warm shower into the freezing cold air, so what could be more heavenly than a cozy warmed towel? (I'll note here that on occasion when I was young, my wonderful mother would bring me a towel straight from the dryer to ameliorate this problem.) Anyway, it became a bit of an obsession for me. Starting out as a "that would be nice to have" item and moving to "I want two things out of life and one of them is a towel warmer" (the other is a screened in porch). But you know, towel warmers can be expensive (especially from the SkyMiles magazines) and they're so frivolous and unnecessary, that I had a hard time justifying a purchase. SO you can imagine my complete elation when I saw, poised brilliantly amongst the otherwise uninteresting furniture and doodads of my neighbors yard sale, a gleaming stainless steel (I don't know, maybe they're all stainless steel) towel warmer with a little green post-it note that read $3.

I said, IS THAT A TOWEL WARMER? Yes. DOES IT WORK? Yes. I'LL TAKE IT. Who knew that all this time, I was neighbors with a towel warmer? The only problem was that now that I had one, I felt death's approach a little closer, because I now was 50% of the way towards that "All I want out of life" thing I said earlier. And we ALL know what happens when you get EVERYTHING you want out of life... yep.

I carried it upstairs to my bathroom. I plugged it in. After a while, it began to feel a little warm. I carefully and with great anticipation draped my towel over the rack. I got in the bath and took my time. Kind of like on Christmas morning when you open your gifts slowly so that it won't end too quickly.

Now for the disappointment. The towel got sort of warm. It wasn't an all around this is amazing kind of warm like the towels from the dryer. It was a, hey I think I might have just felt a warm spot experience. And the experience has been repeated three times since that bath, with not a one being any more successful than the first.

Now what? I mean, now what am I going to do? I'm married. I have kids. I've been to Disney World and Paris. I wanted nothing more out of life. I have the towel warmer and what has it brought me? Nothing but the fear of death and a whole heck of a lot of disappointment, not to mention none-the-fewer a post-bath goose bump.

Anybody know a good screened porch builder?

3 comments:

m-l-e said...

No need to give up yet.. I like to believe that a NEW towel warmer might meet your dreams.

Katrina said...

oh you are so funny. I'm sorry that it was so disappointing. As Oprah says, now you just need another dream. I'm sure you can come up with something.

Rebekah V. said...

Don't stop believin'/hold on to that fee-eee-eeelih-ih ihn/ streetlight people.

Nothing a little Journey can't cure, kiddo.