Monday, March 23, 2009

My day in a nutshell.

Bad: You think you're a bad parent.
Worse: You think that other people think you're a bad parent.
Even Worse: Other people really do think you're a bad parent.
Worst: Other people really do think you're a bad parent, and they tell you so.

In the doorway of the grocery store (on this beautiful spring day, I might add), this man says to me (loud enough for lots of other people to hear, I might add), "You better get some clothes on that baby!"

HUH?

I said, "You think she's cold?"
He said, "It's cold!"

I took off my sweater and put it over her.
I don't think she was cold.
Even before the sweater.

9 comments:

The Payne-Rinne Family said...

Arrrrgggh! That drives me crazy! What on earth? Your baby was plenty warm, or she would have let you know.

Good day - knowing that your friend Leena thinks you're the best mom on earth.

Katie Smith said...

was he foreign? the foreign grandparents that live around here in baity hill tell us all the time that our kids need more clothes. i've even had one at the playground go up to briar and zip her jacket up and put the hood on, when IT WAS NOT COLD! crazy

Gina said...

Katie, I was going to say the same thing. When we lived in student housing in California there were lots of Chinese grandparents. They would all chatter disapprovingly in Chinese about how my kids were dressed. Sometimes they would even come over and rub my son's arms or legs while glaring at me. It was something. But he wasn't cold!!! I swear!

LKC said...

I get yelled at by babushkas all the time about Owen being too cold. Kids around here wear snowsuits well into June, with no snow in sight.

Katrina said...

When Asher was a couple weeks old I was outside walking with him in the sun. It was when he was jaundiced so he only had a diaper on so he could get some rays. This foreign grandma (something eastern european) came up to me and gestured to me that I was holding him wrong. I could not figure out why she cared. I guess she thought I wasn't supporting his back properly... but I was trying to keep as much of his skin bare for the sun to hit.

Katrina said...

So I had to laugh to myself... today at the store this older gentleman walked by us and said "Where are that baby's shoes?!" (He had socks on.) I said, "He doesn't walk, he doesn't need shoes! Some people!

Arbon Family said...

AARRHH!! I hate that! I always get the glares, I just smile and act like I know what I am doing.

Zoe said...

I have yet to have a stranger lecture me on my parenting. Must mean I'm perfect. ;-) Nope, probably just means I don't go out enough! Plus, I haven't done this mom thing very long.

Tami said...

You are so funny. What a lame guy! I probably would have told him off.. in the nicest sort of I think you are lame sort of way.