Sunday, December 04, 2011

I started this blog in December of 2004. This was my first post:

We've tried before to create a Web site, but I've got a good feeling about this one. This will be our chance to share what's going on with us. To pay the internet world back for all the voyeurism we've been guilty of. And to share all those baby stories. I'll figure out how to post photos and then everyone can get their fill of the little Ella-baby. As my friend Maary Maary Benac says, soon we won't ever have to talk again. We'll just visit each other's blogs. Just kidding. Nothing could ever replace the excitement of receiving a real letter in the mail. Keep 'em coming.

And now that I'm in the future (2011), I see that while we still don't have aircars or vending machines in your kitchen where you could press a button and get ANYTHING you want including chicken and dumplings or icy cold Shirley Temples like I thought we might, I think Mary was right. We don't talk as much anymore. I haven't gotten a letter (not including thank you/birthday cards) in years. Poor stationary companies. Poor USPS.

Another friend and I had a talk tonight (face-to-face, not through blogs) about blogs and their role in the socio-landscape of our day. Someone's going to do some heavy duty research on this if they haven't already. How blogs affect individuals and societies. I have my own intentions for keeping a blog. Some of them intensely personal and others have a more outward focus. But, ultimately, I do it because 20 years from now I want to remember the funny things I heard my husband and kids say. I don't want to forget things we did and places we went. I wish my mom had been able to keep a blog. Then I could PROVE that it wasn't me who carved "Molly" onto the watermelon in the refrigerator back in 1989. She could have recorded a certain sibling's confession and then we wouldn't have this "problem" of selective memory. (Now, would we, Jeremy?)

2 comments:

Doreen said...

If it weren't for you keeping a blog where would I go for some comic relief??

BChristley said...

easy there Molly...that was me