Saturday, February 26, 2011

Disney

I'm going to maybe write some more later, but it's almost 11pm right now so this little collection of photos will have to do for now. A very brief summary: We randomly decide to go to Disneyworld with some friends who at the time, we didn't even really know all that well. We joked that we were getting ready to elope to Vegas before we even had our first date. Because, you know, going to Disneyworld is a pretty big commitment. I wasn't sure how much fun the whole thing was going to be because the thought of being in amongst all that Disney stimulation with two kids (we left Thea at home with grandparents) made me feel a bit anxious, but as we started to plan and learn more about the place, I started getting more and more excited.

We met up with our friends in Savannah where we spent the night to break up the 10 hour drive. From there, we made a caravan on down to Orlando. We stayed in the park for 5 days. We loved it and were exhausted by it. I was at the same time overwhelmed and completely entertained. Day 1: Magic Kingdom. Day 2: Epcot Center. Day 3: Hollywood Studios. Day 4: Magic Kingdom again. Day 5: Animal Kingdom.

Best parts: Going with friends. Dark rides. Time together. Sheer elation on the faces of the children. February non-crowds. Unbelievable innovation. I'm sure there were others but I can't think of them right now.
Worst parts: Lunch food. Backpacks. Potty breaks. I'm sure there were others...We met our friends in Savannah which incidentally is where Arnie and I spent our honeymoon. Lots of little blooming friendships in this mix.
Honey from the Savannah Bee. It's more than a store, it's an experience. Arnie spent 10 dollars on bee pollen.
Lunch at Paula Dean's restaurant. Note the butter cakes and biscuits.
We totally didn't expect to actually see her, but then!
I love this picture of Arnie and Asher. Asher spent quite a bit of time in that spot.
"Excellent vacation planners? Who? Us?"
You can't tell, but we're going like 150 iph. (Inches per hour. har har)
Asher and Arnie on a Star Wars thingie.
You can tell the difference between Chip and Dale by looking at their noses. Chip's is black like a chocolate chip. This is Dale.
The Dome.
There was a lot of Asher chasing/following Seth around.
And a lot of this. Lunching.
One of the first things we girls did was go go the Princess Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table (while the Boys did something else less regal).
I'm including this picture because I like the look on my face. It looks like Arnie's showing me a cockroach.
Toy Story Mania!
This is Everest at Animal Kingdom. I got sooo sick riding it. Ella and Arnie rode it like five times in a row.
Ella got picked to make a giraffe sound in the Lion King show. (Do YOU know what sound a giraffe makes? We do now.)
I think this may be the only picture of all of us. You can tell it's the last day of the trip.
We gave in and bought the mouse ears on our way out of the park on the last day. I kind of wish we had bought them on Day 1 so that they could have made an appearance in all the pictures.
This is a pretty good representation of the way the trip felt (Super fun.) Thanks to Jordan for some of these photos. And thanks also for the memories.

Thanks Walt and all your lucky minions for making something really really awesome.

Thanks to our parents for taking such good care of our little Thea who, when she reads this post ten years from now will say, NO FAIR! You went to Disneyworld WITHOUT me??!!




1 comment:

Jordan said...

I was bummed tonight to not be watching the Oscars, but then THIS! Way better. Great recap, Molly. My favorite was the "150 iph" (seriously, what is wrong with that ride??)

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat ity (in ten years).