Thursday, January 07, 2010

Another musical rant.

I'd say as a whole, I'm a pretty agreeable person, but I could hardly wait to finish the first coat of paint in the bathroom so that I could come up here to the computer and express to the world just how much I hate the song Tik Tok by Ke$ha.

First, I will say that if you like the song, please don't take offense. It's fine if you like it. I'm sure I love songs that you hate. There we go.

I am NPR listener. I've told you that before. How I feel old, listening to talk radio, etc. But when I lost reception to my favorite WUNC on my way home to visit my parents in Virginia, I decided to take a listen to the channel I listened to all through junior high and high school. K92 was/is basically Top 40. While listening I heard all sorts of stuff I hadn't heard before. A fairly innocuous song by Miley Cyrus. A few other mildly entertaining songs by people whose voices I did not recognize. A repulsively lyric-ed Brittany Spears (maybe?) song. And THEN, this monstrosity of a "song"(??) which I later found out (disappointingly because the artist Te$ha performed on the Ellen DeGeneres show proving, I hope, that Ellen is sometimes forced to invite guests beyond her better judgment) is called Tik Tok by Ke$ha.

OK, indulge me here. I need to get this out. I don't know why, it's just under my skin. First of all, her name is Ke$ha. Not Kesha. Ke$ha. Puh-leeeze. When I was in high school, I had a friend named Ane. She used to sign her name with an anarchy symbol and then n-e. Now that was cool. Ke$ha i$ lame. Now, look at her picture above. She's kind of cute, probably, but... she looks like she just pulled herself out of some stranger's futon to begin the morning walk of shame.

Now, I hate to devote so many inches of blogspace to this, but here's the really bad part (I have taken the liberty of bolding the portions of the lyrics that extremely bother me:
Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy
(Hey, what up girl?)
Grab my glasses, I'm out the door
I'm gonna hit this city (Lets go)
Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back
I'm talking - pedicure on our toes, toes
Trying on all our clothes, clothes
Boys blowing up our phones, phones
Drop-topping, playing our favorite cd's
Pulling up to the parties
Trying to get a little bit tipsy {Lame}

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, Imma fight
{Fight? What is she talking about? Fight to stay awake? Fight to keep the drunken vomit from getting in her hair?}
Till we see the sunlight
Tick tock, on the clock
But the party don't stop,no
Woah-oh oh oh
Woah-oh oh oh (x2)

Ain't got a care in world, but got plenty of beer
Ain't got no money in my pocket, but I'm already here {Huh?}
And now the dudes are lining up cause they hear we got swagger
But we kick em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger
I'm talking about - everybody getting crunk, crunk
Boys trying to touch my junk, junk {Lame}
Gonna smack him if he getting too drunk, drunk
Now, now - we goin till they kick us out, out
Or the police shut us down, down
Police shut us down, down
Po-po shut us - {Double lame}

{I'm bolding the entire next section because she breaks into some sort of Evanescence-esque interlude that seems so disjointed and makes you wonder what the heck she's on.}

DJ, you build me up
You break me down
My heart, it pounds
Yeah, you got me
With my hands up
You got me now
You got that sound
Yeah, you got me

{This is the lamest line ever.} Now, the party don't start until I walk in {And that's it. This line just leaves you hanging.}
Repeat chorus.

GAG! Even just reading back through these lyrics is painful. Now, I admit there are some parts that are catchy, and perhaps that is why it bothers me more than average. The lyrics are juvenile and lame. Without substance. Readers of this blog know that I also dislike the artist Pink, but even she pulled off the "all I want to do is go to this party" song in a way that didn't leave me reciting the Declaration of Independence over and over to try to get it out of my head. It's fine if you want to go out and have a good time, but, I mean...do you know what I'm trying to say here? She's singing about brushing her teeth with a bottle of Jack Daniels? On stage, she looks and acts completely drunk. It's annoying. It's also disappointing. and disheartening. I mean, this is the number one song on some lists which means, I assume, that teenagers like it. I want to expect more from the rising generation.

I will just finish by saying that I hate this song so much that.. you know, I Think I really would rather listen to a Rod Stewart song than listen to this one. And those of you who have been reading for a while, know that that's saying a lot.

Thank you for letting me vent.

7 comments:

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

ya know, this is exactly what blogs are for. long winded rants. I have a few up my sleeve, well namely, one against bank of america's online banking system.

Heather E. said...

This is just another reason why I appreciate you wholeheartedly. Honest. I hate that song. Thanks for taking the time to remind me why I really hate it. And who has a dollar sign in their name instead of an S who isn't a rapper? lame.

BChristley said...

Do you know what really bothers me about it? I hear my 8-10 year old neices singing it over and over along with Flo-rida's You spin me which by the way is another song I wish I'd never heard. The sad thing is it takes them until they are our age to find out just how horrible and horrific these songs really are. Hence the reason I don't listen to K92 anymore!

Jordan said...

I have so much to $ay, I don't know where to $tart.

First of all, I'm moving "make a mix tape for Molly's car in case she ever finds herself outside of WUNC's range again with no where to turn but the top 40" to the top of my to-do list this week.

Second. This is the very reason I want to move me, my husb and our four children to a farm where the only song they sing along to is the one they hear their Mom humming while milking Bessie and gathering eggs in the coop.

Third. You are awe$ome.

Angelfish said...

I just heard it - well a part of it anyway - I changed the station as fast as I could - and like you, my ears were victimized as a result of losing reception for my favorite talk - not NPR - but Dave Ramsey 680am 11-2 (now that's a show that'll improve your life!!). Anyway - rant-on, it's your blog and therefore your own turf - I on the other hand, usually vent my rants publicly on Facebook--(maybe that's why I get funny looks at church!!)I should follow your example and vent on my own personal blog....but then again, who else would read it?

Rebekah V. said...

rod stewart. man. you really hate this song. the sad part is that now I have to go listen to it. wait. steve just forbade it. tik tok. I gotta go.

m-l-e said...

amen