Sunday, March 16, 2008

You think you're so fashion...

When I was younger, my sister (don't get mad at this Becky) got upset with me for something. What she said in her anger has been repeated hundreds of times in the Lorton household since. She said, "You think you're so fashion? Well, watch out!" I'm not sure if it really happened, but recent iterations have included as double snap across the face. Anyway, I've been watching a lot of Project Runway lately on DVD. Hence, the outfit in the first picture made completely of newspaper, colored tape, construction paper, and toilet paper. I taught a class on dressing modestly to a group of about 50 girls aged 8-11. Part of the class was to design a modest outfit using these sorts of materials. Then, we put on a fashion show. It was a lot of fun, and I was really impressed with the outfits that they came up with. Too bad I don't have a picture of all of them.

The next pictures are from our recent trip to Asheville, NC to the Biltmore Estate. I had a conference near there, and Arnie was in Connecticut for work, so my parents came to watch the kids while I was in my meetings. We took this little sidetrip to the Vanderbilt estate. Holy schmoly. I think it has something like 250 rooms. My favorite parts were the servants' quarters. It was fun to imagine what their lives must have been like. Apparently, they were well-paid and Mr. V was a good guy to have as your employer.





Out of order, but here are some pictures of Asher's 1st birthday which, as mentioned before, was pretty much a bust. At least we have these pictures and the ability to make up impressive stories to tell him when he's old enough to understand.




And finally, thanks to the Burkes we discovered this awesome new park with curly slides tall enough to give even my stomach a little rush when going down them. Here are the kids with Graci.



3 comments:

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

WAit, is this what it's like to be reading an invited-readers-only blog? Cause I forgot to email you about it, but I'm happy to still see your photos.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the snapping was added later! :-) hahaha! that made me laugh. I was so stupid back then! hahah!

love you!
Becky

Tami said...

Your kids are so beautiful! I love the picture of Ella in the butterfly chair from the earlier blog too! So cute.