Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

I'm not a fan of scary books, but when a coworker I ran in to while browsing through the lending library described Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon as "not scary. It's tender," I was intrigued. I read it, and (even though it was just about a girl who got lost in the woods) got scared enough to have to stop reading on a couple of occasions. It was tender because the little 9-year old girl in the book loves Boston Red Sox closing pitcher, Tom Gordon and has several hallucinated conversations with him while lost. You'd have to read to the very end to get why it's so sweet, but... it made me try to remember who my childhood celebrity crushes were. Surprisingly, when I thought about it, I didn't have many.




There was Kirk Cameron, whose posters and "Tiger Beat" photos wallpapered my room through late elementary school and maybe into junior high, I don't remember. In Junior High, I had major crushes on Donnie Wahlburg and Jordan Knight from New Kids on the Block. In fact, I'm still kind of shocked that Jordan and I didn't end up married. I was so sure it was going to happen one day... And then in high school, my crush (and the only one I can remember) was on Anthony Kiedis from Red Hot Chili Peppers. I take that back. I also had a crush on Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam.






In college I made a lot of lists in books. I found one list I made with some friends while I was studying at Hopkins Marine Station. It's a list of crushes.
Here's the list:
No... I can't even put it on here. It's entirely too embarrassing.

No comments: