Monday, October 11, 2010

All she did was shrug.

This morning, Ella wouldn't do what I asked her to do. It's one of the first times, I've had to count all the way to three. When I got to it, "1....2.................3!", a dead silence hung in the air. I was thinking, "Well, now what do I do?" Seriously, it was amazing how well counting used to work to get her to do what I needed her to do. But now, that's gone. Now, I'm busted because she knows that I don't have any grand plan for "3". So, I said, (and at least this is better than the time I told her she was getting three demerits, because what the heck are demerits in this household?) "You will lose a gold star." (We have this gold star accumulation thing where if she gets 50 she's eligible for "Ella Appreciation Week".) Nothing. I said, "OK, what needs to go to toy jail?" (Because that's our other fool-proof method.) She just turned around, looked at me, and shrugged.

Like I imagine the teenage version of Ella will do.

But she's only 6.

I thought of grounding her. Really, I did. But just as quickly I realized that she doesn't really go anywhere. So what would grounding do? I threaten to take away her media privileges, but... actually, I think I forgot to use that one this morning. Maybe that would have worked. So, I'm realizing that I need to fill my quiver up with some new arrows. (Now, I know some of you are thinking that using a weapons analogy is horrid, but... really, love is a battlefield.)

It makes me think of Christopher Columbus. How to deal with a 6 year old who has had the life experience of sailing her little Santa Maria right on past hearing her mother get to 3 and learning that she doesn't drop off the side of the flat-as-a-pancake earth?

3 comments:

Jordan said...

My quiver is empty, too. Otherwise, I'd totally share some arrows with you.

Katrina said...

We do this dime system. When they do what we say right away, they earn dimes. When they don't they lose 'em. money is a pretty good motivator around here.

Katrina said...

oh another one i've heard of is having a consequence jar. its full of various unsavory jobs that the offender must do.