This new job of mine is great/horrible. PROS: The work itself is fun/interesting. I have my very own office. I'm making fat cash. I've added a little dimension to my life. Fame, accolades, adoration.
CONS: Everything else is kind of falling apart.
My boss wants me to extend my contract with them and to start on some other projects. I'm torn on whether I should do it.
Reasons I think I should: The nest egg. Keeping my toes in the water. Some people are desperate for a job, so maybe it's ridiculous to turn one down (and what happens if we end up without a job some time in the future and I know I could have built up savings/had a job but didn't).
Reasons I think I shouldn't: Laundry. The gym. Meal planning. Potty training. Free time. Arnie time. Plenty of clean dishes. Sleep. I have other, smaller jobs.
Arnie wants me to keep going, I think. He likes the fat cash and doesn't mind the house being dirty. I only go into the office one day a week, so I'm not missing out on kid time so much (I work while they nap and after they go to bed. It's actually just Arnie who is getting shorted on the Molly time. But sometimes we sit beside each other with our laptops until the wee hours. Romantic.
Part of me thinks I should just push through for another six months or so and keep working until Arnie finishes his PhD. I often like the challenge of "suffering through" things for a set period of time. And this isn't really suffering. I feel like those of my friends who are looking for a job would want to slap me in the face for writing this.

3 comments:
Molly... oh I remember those day working while Tay was in school (mainly as a medical transcriptionist before Becks was born.) There were days I loved it and some I HATED with a passion. My little advise (not that it is worth much) is to stick with it for a little while longer if you can handle it. You gotta do what is best for you. Now that we are out of school and Tay has a great job we are still really tight on $ and having a little nest egg would have been nice. Just is case. Anyway - sorry to ramble on. Keep posting picks of your sweet family. You make me miss Carolina. Love to you and yours. Molly #2 :)
Ok, first of all I just read Molly R's comment and the fact that she referred to her barely a paragraph comment as rambling just goes to show that she and I have very different interpretations of the definition of rambling. To get a feel for my definition, continue reading as my comment (novella) unfolds.
Ok, first of all (are you starting to get an idea about this rambling thing?) As a fellow working woman who doesn't get child care but instead just works "in her free time" and "balances" work, child, husband, and household, when I read the following line, "CONS: Everything else is kind of falling apart." I seriously laughed out loud for a minute and a half (I know the correct blogger/texting term would be LOL but I refuse to use that abbreviation...except of course in parentheses as I am here in order to explain how I refuse to use it).
Ok, so I personally just have to make do with my housework going to pot in a hand basket for the most part, or however that phrase goes because my husband is a full time student so without my meager income we would be poor poor poor (as in debt), but it is my understanding that your earning potential is quite a bit more than my glorified administrator job and so I say HIRE A MAID and soon. Not just a once a week gal, get someone to come in 2-3 times a week and run a load of laundry, run a load of dishes, vacuum the floors, sweep and mop, and scrub up the bathrooms to a shiny reflective museum surface (that last part got away from me a little).
Anyway, that's my suggestion, don't quit, but don't keep going like you're going. You need help (not in a psycho-therapist way but maybe I'm not qualified to make that diagnosis) but you need help with the housework, you can't do it all but you also shouldn't have to live in a pig sty, I tried it for a while but then I read that living in a filthy house makes it virtually impossible to ever truly relax in your home because you can't relax as you look around at piles of mess which are disgusting reminders of everything you have to do, it causes you to remain in a constant subconscious or conscious (depending on how good you are at attempting to tune it out that day) state of stress while you're home and then you can't ever really unwind and that's no way to function.
So that's my 200 cents/$2 (2 cents would be understating the length of this comment). Hope it helps, all I can say is, thank goodness I'm quitting in less than 2 months, your post just reminded me of all the chaos that is my working life.
Oh, and one last thing, isn’t being in the same room as your husband while the two of you do your own thing on separate computers considered “spending time together”? What is it that you and Arnie do when you’re spending quality time together? Braid each other’s hair, give each other footrubs? Enjoy dipped strawberries and pound cake as you hover side by side over a table with lit tea candles and a chocolate fondu pot? Just sayin…
I thought about posting this comment as "anonymous" so that you wouldn't know who wrote it. HA! Like you wouldn't be able to figure out in .4 seconds that it was me :) That, my friend, is called personality, but why am I telling you?
Wow! Exciting! You can join the rest of us who live in filth and chaos (or maybe that's just me.) Or, better yet, I'd go with Autumn's suggestion and hire some help. Hope to talk to you soon to hear more about this!
Post a Comment