Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I couldn't make this stuff up.

There are all sorts of jobs in this world with all sorts of benefits packages. Some people have expense accounts, box seats to professional sporting events. Others may have the periodic free bagel klatsch or free dental. At Family Medicine, we have a nice set of benefits as well. The occasional pharmaceutical rep brings food or free ink pens. I don't pay for my insurance premium. Oh, and when doctors move or retire after decades in their offices, they give away some pretty cool stuff. Last week, I brought home a VHS tape of Mary Poppins. But by far the following email described my favorite job perk of all--- free blemish removal.

" [Dear] All,
As most of you know, we devote one afternoon during orientation month to teaching the interns how to remove common (benign) skin lesions, inject back mice, remove sebaceous cysts (especially from the scalp), freeze lesions that people don't like, and other "minor procedures". Drs. [H & M] will work with me to "operate" on as many as 20 "patients" from 3 PM until we finish.

This year's Ditzel Day is Wednesday, August 27th.
Here are the specifics of the day:
1. We do the surgeries for free
2. If we remove something we think should go to a pathologist, we'll send it. If you don't want it sent, we won't remove it.
....
4. If your lesion is in a place that you (or I) are not comfortable for you to expose in a room full of your colleagues, we should not do it.
5. I'm happy to have a look at anything you are considering as a volunteer, to see if we can do it. 6. If you need to wear something like shorts or an exercise bra to expose the lesion, please do so; and, make it something that blood or Betadine can wash out of easily.
...
Just let me know via e-mail and I'll put you on the list.Thanks for considering the chance to "give something to the residents".

[Dr. G]"

Seriously. How can I say goodbye to this job??

2 comments:

Chris said...

If it helps making the leaving easier--there aren't going to be free drug pens anymore (starting Jan 1). I know, it made me sad to hear that news also. If you would like the link to the news story, I will get it to you (its very long and I don't want to post it here).

But, yes, free lesion removal is awesome. That perk is definitely one that HR should tell you about during the hiring process

m-l-e said...

WOW!!!