As I was holding Asher this evening, getting ready to put him to bed, I started to feel a bit tender because this is his last night of being a baby. Tomorrow he turns 1. In a lot of ways, I feel like I squandered that time away. I didn't make the most of that year that will never ever happen again with him. I tried to get one last pre-1 picture of him. I tried to capture the sweet, content little baby boy who sleeps well and is generally quiet and just happy to be around. Instead, I got this photo: 
Ella helped me make Asher's birthday cake tonight. It was funny to see her reaction to the idea that the reason for a special celebration might be someone or something other than her.
Ella: Mom, can I eat the part of the cake that says Happy Birthday, Asher?
Me: Sure. He probably won't let you next year, but this year he won't know, so sure.
Ella: OK.
Later-
Ella: Mom, when you sing Happy Birthday, can you say my name, too?
Me: No, sweetheart. It's Asher's birthday tomorrow, not yours. So, we'll just sing "Happy Birthday to Asher". It's Asher's special day tomorrow.
Ella: I know it's not my birthday tomorrow, but can it be my special day, too?
Me: Well, tomorrow is a day where we are going to pay special attention to Asher to celebrate that he is in our family.
Ella: OK.
Later-
Ella: Mom, when you take pictures of Asher tomorrow, can I be in the picture standing beside him?
Me: Sure. There will be some pictures of you with Asher. There might also be some pictures of just Asher with his cake.
Ella: OK, but can there be some pictures of just me, too?
Me: Sure, Ella.
I can just picture her trying to implement her plan for taking over the day piece by piece.
And in other news:
THIS WOMAN deserves the awesomest neighbor ever award.
Their family came over as part of our impromptu wild party this weekend and with 9 kids running around our house, you can imagine that things weren't exactly pristine when the night was over. But that's part of having people over and I was TOTALLY fine with it. BUT, Darci who lives next door and has a key to our house, actually came over while I was at work and VACUUMED downstairs AND upstairs. I couldn't believe it. What a nice woman. I felt like it was Christmas and I had just received the most thoughtful gift.

2 comments:
I can't believe Asher is one already and we haven't met him yet. We get the award for worst aunt and uncle! You're lucky to have such great neighbors. We barely can get ours to watch our dog overnight... Happy Birthday to Asher! We miss you.
Happy Birthday, Asher!!! That is quite a mouth he has! And I love how Ella is dealing with a day not dedicated to her. Cute kids you have.
Post a Comment