Friday, June 29, 2007

Love is...

Last Saturday night, Ella and Arnie had a sleepover party downstairs in the living room- they get to sleep downstairs, make tents out of blankets and the couch and read books until they fall asleep and play until they collapse. At some point, the house was dark, I was almost asleep- when Arnie ran upstairs to tell me a landmark conversation he had been waiting to happen:

Ella: I just want to have one baby.

Arnie: Oh you mean, when you are a big grown-up woman?

Ella: Yeah, when I'm a big woman.
Arnie: Oh, I see. Well, you can have as many ki
ds as you want.
Ella: Who's going to be my husband?
Arnie
: Oh- well, we don't know yet. You haven't picked him yet. And we probably haven't met him yet.
Ella: I get to pick?
Arnie: Yep.

[pause]

Ella: I want you to be my husband.

Arnie: Oh, absolutely. I woul
d love to be your husband. [intentional pause] BUT, you know, you can pick somebody else to be your husband and I'll still be your daddy. That way you can have two things. does that sound good?
Ella: [with all the seriosness of an a
dult- she nods her head.]

No comments: