Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Knock Knock

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't say banana?

In a sentence: I'm worried about the citrus crop in California. That "cold snap" as they call it may very well have decreased my orange and lemon consumption by up to 75% (don't ask me how I calculated that). My husband's an economist. I understand supply and demand and what that's going to do to my ability to consume. I love oranges. GW can send relief to California as requested by Arnold, but how is money going to fuel my morning craving for sweet, juicy citrus?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Besides your precious clementines, there are lots of lost jobs (potentially for the next decade or so, depending on the number of trees themselves lost) that will result.

I am curious about the number of them who are migrant workers. That may minimize the the sting of those lost jobs, since they can more easily transfer elsewhere, albeit at lower wages (usually already below minimum).

This probably has no meaning but the human brain picks up these patterns anyway...but I must note that this comes on the heels of hurricanes wiping out tomato crops in Mexico and putting quite a pinch on their diets.

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

I too, am heartbroken by the orange disaster. I go to my farmer's market mostly just to wander around sampling everyone's orange slices and fear a bitter showing next year.

I'm trying to get my fix right now and am sucking them down as fast as possible. Hopefully I'll retain enough citrus to get me through a year's emptiness.